Accra Technical University, Ghana’s premier technical university, since its inception as a Technical Institute has and continues to offer education in hands-on and competency-based training in diverse fields of engineering and industrial practice. The University is endowed with skilled experts as lecturers and instructors, competent to impart invaluable knowledge and lessons on students.
ATU in conformity with the mandate of the Technical University Act, 2016 (922) is fueled by the zeal to achieve greater results and keeping up with the global pace of technical development through creativity. Thus, we have over the years adhered to high sense of quality standards regardless of the vicissitudes of academic trends.
The pillar of global economy being technology, has compelled the institution to adopt thoughtful approaches and tactics to train and transform students to become university products with enviable abilities. This distinguished effort spurred by the mission to provide excellent tuition, practical training/ learning and research combine to produce leaders and create solutions, has made ATU the preferred choice for many students.
Accra Technical University is located in the Central Business District of Accra; its strategic position renders it as the only Technical University within the “inner city”. Luckily, we share borders with other noble institutions such as Movenpick and Accra City Hotel (former Novotel) whilst our northern zone is shared with the Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the City Campus of the University of Ghana. The Ghana Assembly Press guards the institution from the south whilst the Central Police Command, the Ghana Cocoa Board and two Telcos (Airtel Tigo and MTN) border us to the west.
The Kotoka International Airport is just 4km drive away from our institution, which gives us the advantage of meeting foreign students and visitors hours before their arrival. Our superior location provides a wonderful access to transporting visitors and students nationwide.
HISTORY OF ACCRA TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY
Established in 1949 as a Technical School and commissioned in 1957 as Accra Technical Institute, Accra Technical University then (Accra Technical Institute) became the first Technical University to be established. In 1963 the Institute assumed a new name as Accra Polytechnic under the directions of President Dr. Kwame Nkrumah to be a key driver of the country’s industrialization process. Following the operationalization of the PNDC Law of 1992 (PNDC 321) in 1993/1994, the Polytechnic gained tertiary recognition.
The elevation provided that the University under the Higher Education Council was vest with the autonomy to award Higher National Diploma (HND) through the National Board for Professional and Technical Examination (NABPTEX).
With the coming into force of the Polytechnic Act (Act 745) in 2007, the PNDC Law 321 of 1992 was repealed to allow polytechnics the autonomy to award Higher National Diplomas (HND), Diplomas, Certificates and other degrees that the Polytechnic may deem appropriate, all accredited by the National Accreditation Board.
The Technical University Act, 2016, (Act 922) converted together with 8 other Polytechnics, Accra Polytechnic to Accra Technical University, given it a Technical University status. The elevation was aimed at enhancing technical training with emphasis on producing world-class graduates molded in excellence and professionalism in diverse technical programmes in theory and in practice.
Currently, the University has 5 faculties – Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Built Environment, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Faculty of Applied Arts, and Faculty of Business – and 16 departments.