Archbishop Porter Girls’ Polytechnic was started in a very humble way on the premises of St Mary’s Primary School, Cape Coast, by the Sisters of Our Lady of Apostles (OLA) in 1940 to provide training opportunities for teenage girls who for one reason or the other could not access secondary education. The school was originally named St. Mary’s Vocational School and it provided young girls with appropriate skills in dressmaking and embroidery. This was in keeping with the primary aim of the OLA sisters to train young girls and women in practical and professional skills to make them employable and also earn decent livelihoods.
The focus of the school was later expanded to include commercial subjects for girls who had completed the then terminal Standard VII Leavers’ Examinations. By 1946, the School had developed into a full-blown commercial institute, the very first all-girls’ commercial school in the country.
In 1947, a 2-year Commercial course was started, together with a course in House craft, which was aimed among others at grooming young girls in housekeeping skills for their later adult lives as wives and mothers.
The curriculum did not only focus on equipping the students with high quality professional employable skills, but also offered disciplined holistic, religious and moral training. The products of the institution, not surprisingly, became first-choice employees who were readily absorbed by banks, firms, companies and other institutions throughout the country.
LIST OF PROGRAMMES
CERTIFICATE II IN BUSINESS STUDIES (FOR B.E.C.E HOLDERS)
● KEYBOARD PROCESSING
● INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICT)
● STENOGRAPHER SECRETARY
● PRIVATE SECRETARY
● DBS ACCOUNTING
● DBS MANAGEMENT
● DBS SECRETARIAL
● DBA (DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION)
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA PROGRAMS
● HND SECRETARYSHIP AND MANAGEMENT STUDIES
● HND HOSPITALITY CATERING AND INSTITUTIONAL MANAGEMENT