Can I get my social welfare payment paid into the bank?

Your social welfare payment can be paid directly into your personal account at a bank, building society or at certain credit unions.

Change my payment method

In line with the latest HSE and WHO advice around Social Distancing in order to fight the spread of the COVID-19 virus the Department has taken the decision to facilitate getting your payment directly into a Bank account. This will mean no longer having to pick up your payment in person in a post office.

What payment method can I change

If you are currently being paid a social welfare payment into a post office you can now request that the payment will be paid directly into a financial institution instead e.g Bank or Credit Union

If you are currently already being paid into a bank you can also change that bank account for a new one.

What do I need?

MyGovID Verified Account

Your will need to have a verified MyGovID account to access the service. This can be created at

Account Details

You will need to know the account name, BIC and IBAN of the account that you wish to nominate.


You will need to know which scheme you wish to make these changes on