Mastercard Foundation is urgently searching for a Head of Transitions to work with their team. All interested applicants should apply using the details below.
- Company: Mastercard Foundation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Jobs in Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services and dignified work. Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment. Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
If you are an experienced transitions professional looking to increase your impact, read on!
Reporting to the Head of Scholars Program; the Head of Transitions will be responsible for overseeing transitions for young people beyond scholarships for learning. The role will oversee a team of transitions with transformative leadership and will develop strategies for young people across various regions.
The successful candidate will be based in any of our listed offices in Africa (Rwanda, Ghana).
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Contribute to ongoing Human Capital Development program strategy development and evolution, as a member of the Human Capital Development leadership team.
- Set goals and targets initially for the Foundation Scholars and monitor to ensure opportunities for them post-education.
- Establish strategies for training and development in advance of transitions beyond our programs across the enterprise.
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities to effectively link the Scholars Program with Young Africa Works country and regional programs.
- Develop fellowships, internships, entrepreneurship training and transformative leadership development as a continuum throughout education and beyond graduation.
- Coordinate internally with P&C to attach a scholar to a Resident or Fellow resource to provide work skills through attachments to the Resident and Fellows resources at the Foundation for work experience in support of transition process.
- Work with the private sector, the education sector, and other disciplinary sectors, as well as civil society to identify new partnership opportunities within region, lead due diligence and lead and/or oversee co-creation processes.
- Collaborate with Scholars Program, Country Programs, and Refugees, Disp., and disability teams to enrich existing and new partnerships creating fellowships and internships for young people post-education.
- Establish means of measuring success and progress across region, in consultation with Director, Human Capital Development, Head of Scholars and Head of Impact.
- Oversee implementation of Transitions at the regional level, tracking progress, and ensuring high quality delivery and standards
- Provide ongoing guidance, support and technical assistance to all partner institutions in region; lead problem solving and escalate issues as necessary.
- Champion Program quality and branding, working in close collaboration with Program Communications, and senior leadership of implementing partner organizations and institutions.
- Collaborate with the Scholars Program team to ensure successful transition of Scholars into the world of work or further education.
- Oversee in collaboration with impact to capture data and learnings and ensure that insights and impact are routinely and effectively reported, and continually integrated into program design and implementation.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with stakeholders to scale impact, by, e.g., developing partner networks in the private sector, engaging governmental bodies, and coordinating cross-organizational collaboration.
- Facilitate connections and exchange and learning across the Scholars Program partner network in the region, including contributing to the planning and delivery of face-to-face convenings and virtual meetings.
- Build and maintain effective business partnerships with other teams within the Foundation.
- Represent the Foundation at relevant events within and outside the region.
- Identify and recruit talent, effectively leading colleagues within region, ensuring high quality of work, alignment with Foundation values, access to development opportunities and a supportive and collaborative work environment.
- Champion safeguarding of Scholars and all Program participants.
WHO YOU ARE
- A Masters and Professional qualification in International development, education, public policy, social sciences or other related field is desired.
- Engaging with senior leadership preferably in the private sector as well as with young people.
- Creating and building a new initiative or transforming an existing one into something more impactful, in a multi-cultural environment.
- Presenting information to internal and external leadership teams/individuals.
- Building and managing high performing teams in in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
- Working across cultures and geographies.
- Experience living and working in Africa is required.
- Proven ability to think in a big-picture and strategic way, and to plan and deliver complex initiatives.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Deep knowledge of key issues and emerging trends and barriers in youth employment in Africa.
- Experience and sensitivity to issues of inclusion; experience delivering programs for women, people with disabilities, and/or refugees and displaced youth highly desirable.
- Fluency in English and French desirable (required for Francophone Africa).
- Exceptional analytical skills, the ability to think strategically and contribute to the Foundation’s strategy development.
- Exceptional interpersonal and listening skills with the ability to build effective partnerships across all levels of the Foundation.
- Passionate about youth education and employment in Africa.
- Professional maturity and sensitivity with others in a manner that exemplifies commitment to Foundation values and vision.
- Commitment to engaging and empowering young people, particularly women, and other marginalized groups such as refugees and displaced youth, and young people with disabilities.
- Ability to plan and act strategically over long timeframes, patience and persistence to achieve goals; and ability to balance immediate executional needs with longer term visioning.
- A team-player with a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Entrepreneurial mindset to build a new function in a dynamic environment
- Service Mindset and striving towards becoming a trusted business partner to drive common Foundation goals.
- Results-driven and motivated by a high sense of performance excellence and urgency.
- Drive to continually experiment and innovate, building and leveraging best-in-class expertise and learnings.
- Commitment to the values of co-creation, humility and deep listening.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 30 August. 2024