Newmont Mining Corporation is currently searching for Utility Equipment Operator to work with their company. All interested applicants should apply using the details below.
- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Brong-Ahafo Region
- Job type: Full-Time
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
- Are you able to operate utility equipment such as small excavators, small loaders, rock breaker, recovery truck, small water truck, telehandler, stemming loader, compactor for road works, wall cleanups and etc. at Newmont in a safe and efficient manner?
In This Role You Will:
Utility Equipment Pre-Shift and On-Shift Activities
- Attend all pre-shift instruction meetings.
- Communicate with and receive instruction from the Mine Operations Shift Supervisor and follow specified instructions and daily plans for Load and Haul, as well as Mine Dewatering, prior to the execution of activities.
- Perform pre-shift inspections by completing a designated check list.
- Follow laid-down procedures and instructions and methodically work through the assigned checklist.
- Understand standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and standard task procedures (STP’s), according to the assigned work schedule; interpret and execute on the work schedule.
- Participate in job hazard analyses (i.e. non-routine activities) and standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and standard task procedures (STP’s).
- Sign-off on any identified hazards with the Supervisor.
- Operate one and/or a variety of fleet equipment such as small excavators, small loaders, rock breaker, recovery truck, small water truck, telehandler, stemming loader, compactor.
- Conduct the following activities:
- pit wall clean ups.
- building of windrows.
- digging trenches and other earthworks.
- positioning water pipelines. o feeding mobile crushers.
- Maintain floor grades.
- Clean and maintain equipment to planned limits.
- Maintain communications with other colleagues in the work area.
- Meet and/or exceed established performance expectations set by management.
- Follow the Fire Suppression Activation System to mitigate risks, if in the event of emergencies.
- Report and escalate all accidents and incidents occurring in the shift immediately to the Supervisor.
- Report any equipment malfunctions or service requirements to the Supervisor at the before, during or after the shift.
- Inspect visually and listen to machinery and equipment to diagnose the cause of malfunctions.
- Record and submit daily production, maintenance and repair activities.
- Assist in developing peers to perform utility equipment duties.
- Perform other related activities, as assigned by the Supervisor.
Utility Equipment Post-Shift Handover
- Communicate and provide work status handovers to incoming Utility Equipment Operator.
- Communicate with the Dispatcher regarding hazards encountered to provide sufficient information to the incoming Operators for the smooth running of Operations.
Stakeholder Management and Equipment
- Communicate with Dispatcher and other Utility Equipment Operators using communication devices such as two-way radios and/or on-board computers.
- Ensure shift work meets established statutory standards.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Follow all safety policies, procedures and legislation.
- Operate in a safe manner and take steps to prevent minimal wear and tear and/or damage to equipment.
- Perform daily safety inspections on equipment parts such as lights, horns, alarms, mirrors, fire extinguishers, tyre pressure and steering linkages.
- Work without risk or harm to others.
- Report any safety, health and environmental concerns to the Supervisor.
- Inspect work areas and ensure all areas comply with internal Newmont and external regulatory standards.
- Adhere strictly to internal Newmont utility equipment standards.
- Comply with safe utility equipment procedures.
- Maintain a strong focus of safety throughout all activities.
- Provide hands-on assistance during utility equipment operating activities to fellow colleagues to ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Attend daily morning safety meetings.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior High School Certificate.
- MINCOM Equipment Competency.
- Driver’s License D & E for trucks.
- Minerals Commission Permit.
- Good knowledge of lockout/tag out procedures.
- General understanding of permitting requirements for various activities.
- General knowledge in mid-to-heavy equipment operation.
- Minimum of 2 – 3 years’ experience working with Code D & E Vehicles in an open pit mine environment.
- Sound administrative skills.
- Sound listening skills.
- Sound concentration skills.
- Sound planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound technical communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound information monitoring skills.
- Ability to operate a two-way radio and follow instructions.
- Ability to read and understand documentation.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with peers and supervisor.
- Continuous learning.
- Detail oriented.
- Takes Initiative.
- Manual dexterity.
- Safety conscious.
- Team Player.
- Technically Inclined.
- Position is located at the Ahafo North mine.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to efficiently perform the essential functions of this job:
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to work in confined spaces and will be exposed to extreme vibration.
- Work Environment: The employee is frequently exposed to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work require mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high transparent clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask.
- Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
- Incumbent occasionally has to work overtime and is exposed to moving machinery.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 31 August. 2024