The Jirapa Nursing/Midwifery Training College in the Upper West Region was established in 1952 and added up in 1954 by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, a catholic congregation spearheaded by Reverend Sister Cyprian Mary Swales, a professionally experienced nurse-midwife. The school started Qualified Registered Nursing from 1954 – 1969; the Enrolled General Nursing from 1969 – 1980; State Registered Nursing (SRN) from 1981 – 1999; Registered General Nursing from 1999 to date. The straight midwifery programme started 1952 – 1974 3 year straight midwifery. The two year post basic midwifery started from 1974 – 2008. The three year diploma in midwifery started from 2008 – up to date. The vision of the college is to train qualified, competent and polyvalent midwives/nurses whose 3 years and 2 years basic and post basic training periods will equip them with the needed knowledge, skills, moral standards and Christian values to cater for the health needs of their clients/patients. The mission is to provide high quality healthcare in the most effective/efficient and innovative manner, specific to the needs of the communities we serve and at all times acknowledging the dignity of the patient. The school currently has 840 students, 27 tutors; one computer laboratory and 21 computers.
Jirapa Nurses Training College, Jirapa Details
College Name: Jirapa Nurses Training College
Category: Nursing Colleges