In line with the country Security Risk Management (SRM), the United Nations system in Ghana created Radio Rooms in Accra and Tamale with the primary responsibility of ensuring the safety and security of all UN staff, dependents and property.
The Radio Rooms are designed to operate on 24×7 basis. The position is fully funded by UN agencies in Ghana through the Local Cost Shared Security Budget. The Radio Operator will provide radio communication/security support to staff and dependents in all UN Agencies
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the immediate supervision of the Security Advisor (SA), the Radio Operator/Security shall be responsible for the following duties: Serving in shift-system at a 24/7 radio room which maintains a radio and telephone communication regime with all UN staff in the Area of Operation;
• When required, he/she will assist police during investigations in all security related incidents involving UN staff.
• Ensure that all communication equipment (i.e. VHF and HF radios, fax mobile and land-line phones) are in perfect working conditions before the start of duty; Receive, process, record and pass all security related information to the appropriate quarters through the normal communication channels;
• Inform the Supervisors immediately of any incident/accident; Maintain communication link with the security agencies (police and military) with a view to providing the necessary assistance to UN staff members and receiving updated information on security matters;
• Register and forward all e-mail messages and messages deposited during working and offduty hours; Assist with preparation of UN IDS and Access badges when on day shift.
• Accurately identify exact location/grid references of all incident/accidents and pass information to the Supervisors and the police;
• Maintain both electronic and manual register;
• Provide relevant assistance to visiting staff members requiring assistance through radio or telephone channels;
• Brief the incoming duty radio operator on all events, especially pending cases for which action is to be taken;
• Perform radio checks, as directed by the SA / ASC / Local Security Assistant (LSA) and Radio Room Supervisor;
• Keep the SA /ASC / LSA and Radio Room Supervisor informed of any information or incident that could have a bearing on the security of staff and property;
• Maintain up-to-date records of all security section supplies; Prepare and conduct security briefings;
• Conduct residence security surveys; Perform any other tasks as assigned by the SA / ASC / LSA and Radio Room Supervisor
• Professionalism: Very good skills in use of telecommunication equipment;
• Communication: Very good oral and written skills in English language; ability to provide briefings, forecasts and advice clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; a high sense of discretion and integrity.
• Client orientation: Professional attitude and ability to work efficiently under stressful conditions.
• Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Qualification Required & Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent. 2 year of experience in telecommunication
• Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable but not a requirement.
• Fluency in English, Fluency in Ghanaian language is required.
Other Skills Required
• Knowledge of telecommunication
• Solid computers skills (MS Word,
• Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
• Possession of a valid driver’s license
• Ability to travel
• Women are strongly encouraged to apply
How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Closing Date: 10 August, 2024